An Inconvenient Truth


I've read a small sample of scientific literature and listened to several interviews of scientists that made it clear that global warming is a reality. The science didn't seem all that complicated and so I thought I got it: Global warming is a problem. We caused it and we need to do something about it. But boy did I have the scale of the problem wrong.

I just watched An Inconvenient Truth. In this documentary Al Gore takes the science of global warming and boils it down (no pun intended) into very simple presentation with only one terrifying conclusion. The scale of this problem is profound. It eclipses all of the problems we face today because left unchanged it will it be the genesis of such cataclysmic environment change as to create disease, famine and war like we have never known. It will reshape the land on which we live. And will happen very quickly. That was the part that surprised me. I could eat McDonald's once a week for the rest of my life and I'll likely live long enough to be killed by a side effect of global warming. Here's the Trailer...



I'm all for being skeptical, but the argument presented is very well structured and scientists (the ones that aren't paid by oil companies) are lining up to support the data and conclusions in this documentary. If your looking for a credible skeptic, check out this TED talk. Michael Shermer is a professionals debunker/skeptic who though global warming was a hoax until he saw a presentation of this material.

The documentary presents an apocalyptic outcome if we fail to act, but also describes the technology, that we already have, which is capable of fixing the problem. The thing that has been missing is the political will. The description on Google video said it best "The film is not a story of despair but rather a rallying cry." If your one of the 5 people that read my blog I strongly encourage you to see the movie (available on DVD) and then share it with someone else.

There are suggestions on how you can take action at ClimateCrisis.net and StopGlobalWarming.org. Over the next two months I'm going to look into ways to reduce my own carbon footprint and see how many I can actually make a reality. It should be fun. We'll see how far a some science and little creativity can go.