What do you want for Christmas?

Christmas is the season of giving, but the month leading up to Christmas is also the season of friends and family asking "What do you want for Christmas?" In the past few years I've struggled to come up with answers that satisfy because Smartwool Socks and Used Soundtracks don't seem to bring the right level of giving joy to my family. My answers tend to make them a little grumpy. All except for Reza because to him the absence of an answer means he can be creative and I'll probably end up wearing a pink bunny suit.

This year I'm asking for things from the these groups One.org [store] - Ubuntu [store] - Firefox [store] - WikiPedia [store] - Audacity [store] - NPR [store]. All year long I've been getting thought provoking ideas, tools, hobbies, education and entertainment from these groups. When I think of things I want for Christmas they are the first things that come to mind.

It used to bug me that I couldn't really ask for them for Christmas since they are social movements, open source software and/or free. Then it occurred to me that I can support them by asking for and wearing some of the cool threads they sell on their website. All of a sudden there is no shortage of things I want for Christmas and I'm excited about asking for this stuff because supporting these groups makes me happy. Plus they have some cool logos.

So we'll see how it goes. I have a feeling I'm going to really enjoy opening presents this year. Of course I still have my fingers crossed for the socks.