The Garden of Dr. Moreau

The other day I found this red pepper growing one of my bell pepper plants. It was a little wrinkly and smelled a little bit like a hot pepper.

Working on the assumption that I had planted green bell peppers (they were green in the picture at the store), I stared at my garden in disbelief. How did I get a red bell pepper?

And then I saw it... My Red Hot Chili Peppers (yes the ones that almost killed me) were right under the bell pepper plant. If a bee had cross pollinated the chili pepper and the bell pepper, a red spicy smelling bell pepper seemed like a logical result.

And so I started thinking about all the ways I was going to revel in my unintentional, and yet monumental, genetic manipulation success. Just think about it! In the midst of a global pandemic of pollinating-bee colony-collapse I managed to create new strain of pepper!

Thoughts of grandeur floated about my subconscious. Watson and Crick were a couple of melodramatic hacks! Mendel was a number fixing punk! And don't even get me started on Mephisto and his four assed monkey.

After a few days I decided to do some research on peppers to determine if there was any precedent for cross pollinating peppers to achieve new characteristics. The search was cut short by the following discovery.

To quote from the wikipedia page on bell peppers:
The color can be green, red, yellow, orange and, more rarely, white, purple, blue, and brown, depending on when they are harvested and the specific cultivar. Green peppers are unripe bell peppers, while the others are all ripe, with the color variation based on cultivar selection.

Ugggghhhh.... While very unlikely I guess it's still possible the pepper was the result of a cross pollination. Fortunately Alex had the forethought to save the seeds after we ate the pepper.

I guess next year we'll have test our pepper seeds Mendel's way.