Alex Kind of Jazz

I've been trying to expose the boys to a lot of different kinds of music. All different styles of Jazz, Classical, Rock... A few weeks ago he was into Van Halen.

We make a game of trying to identify which instruments are playing and Alex has started getting very good. He knows the difference between a tenor sax and trumpet with and without a Harmon Mute and can even pick out all of the instruments playing in a jazz combo...

The other day I asked him what he wanted to listen to while we were driving. He said Jazz... I tried Big Band, Dixieland, Blues, Bill Evans, and Vince Guaraldi (The Peanuts music) but he just kept saying that wasn't the kind of jazz he wanted.

Finally he describe the music he wanted, instruments and the way they sounded. So per his instructions I added Kind of Blue to my iPod and played it for him. Cool as a cucumber he said "That's the jazz I like, dad." The kid's got taste and style...