Putting George Jetson Out of a Job is Not Easy

George Jetson is a fictional character who appears in the animated series The Jetsons. George' s job primarily required him to repeatedly push a single button (or on occasion a series of buttons) on a computer. - Wikipedia

I used to think George Jetson's job was pretty silly. With all this computing power how could we possibly need a guy to push a button?!? Alas, I've been humbled by my Macbook Pro...


I've been trying to figure out how to get my Macbook to wake up in the middle of the night, run my Monster Pirate Flickr Uploadr, stay awake until it finishes, and then go back to sleep. And do all that with the lid closed...
  • I can schedule the Monster Pirate Flickr Uploadr to run automatically using periodic or iCal.
  • I can get my macbook pro to way up at 3am using the System Preferences >> Energy Saver >> Schedule >> Start up or wake setting
It's the staying awake part that's the problem. Apparently Macbooks like sleep as much as I do. As soon as it wakes up it checks the lid, sees it's closed, and goes back to sleep with no so much as a care that it's supposed to be backing up our cherished family photos!

You'd think this computer would have a Do-Stuff-While-I'm-Sleeping-And-Quit-Your-Whining-Because-You're-A-Stinking-Machine capability, but this is not the case. Apparently the robots union requires that we either leave our computers on all the time or sit with them while they do our menial tasks.