Arthur Benjamin's formula for changing math education

As a high school Calculus student I remember asking "When am I ever going to need this?"  The  answer turned out to be first year college Physics, but its usefulness stopped there.

In this 3 minute TED Talk video Arthur Benjamin makes a powerful argument for replacing High School Calculus with Statistics.  I think he's right.





With an undergraduate degree in Biology, a Masters Degree in Information Technology and 10 years' work experience in a technical field I can honestly say I still haven't found a practical use for any of the Calculus I learned in high school or college.   Statistics skills, on the other hand have been vital to both my degrees and are frequently needed for my day job.
 
I just looked at the high school syllabus for our town and was thrilled to see they offer both a Calculus and Statistics course of study in grades 11 and 12.  Even though none of the kids are in 1st grade yet, it's nice to know I'll be able to give them a good answer when they ask "When am I ever going to need this?"