The Wile E. Coyote House Maintenance Methodology

A few months ago, a raccoon started frequenting our back deck. It started when we didn't clear the table after dinner and he snuck in through a broken screen and helped us out.






Video of Raccoon on our Back Deck





Video of Raccoon on our Back Deck Table




So I repaired the screens and he stopped frequenting our dinner table.

And then I noticed that our bird feeder had fallen off its' hook and broken open. I didn't put 2 and 2 together at first. I actually thought the wind had blown it off the hook which is fairly ridiculous considering it survived every weather event last year including the ice storm of 2008.





With and Without Ice
The bird feeder before and after the ice storm


Then one night I saw the raccoon out our kitchen window, and boy do I wish I'd had a camera. He climbed up the tree, reached down and grabbed the bird feeder, lifted it up off the hook, looked up, made eye contact with me, smiled (yes that giant rodent smiled), and then he dropped the bird feeder 15 feet. It promptly burst open, he sauntered down the tree and proceeded to eat the bird seed.

For a few days I toyed with a  Wile E. Coyote-esque response... Something involving dynamite or a catapult. But then I started having visions of me, standing on my roof, pulling a stick out from under a boulder only to have it defy gravity, roll up my roof and smoosh me.

In the end I had to use a carabiner to attach the bird feeder to the tree.  It takes a little more effort to refill, but I didn't have to go to the hospital and it's saving us a fortune in bird seed.