A Biblical iPad Teaching Moment

Sunday morning, after the Easter egg hunt, resulting candy buffet and lego building event (yes the Easter bunny brought legos), the boys were off playing on their own so I settled down on the couch to read the news and play with my new iPad.

For the record, there was a small chance I could have made it out of the Apple store without an iPad. Fortunately Christine was there to smother what little remained of that practical voice in my head. I have a very cool wife.

So there I was sitting on the couch looking at a website called The Brick Testament.

The Brick Testament is the largest, most comprehensive illustrated Bible in the world with over 3,600 illustrations that retell more than 400 stories from The Bible. - TBT FAQ.

And all those illustrations are made out of legos. It looks spectacular!



The brick testament on the ipad


I'm a big fan of this website because it makes the stories of the bible so accessible. I've been trying to figure out a way to teach the kids religious literacy because:

  1. I think it's important to understand the stories used as the basis for world religions.
  2. When nutters start quoting holy books and claiming those books unequivocally tell us we need to hurt or repress each other, it's useful to have a passing familiarity with those books so you can either ignore, debate or educate the nutters as you fit.


So there i was sitting on the couch looking at this website when Conner came over and following transpired.

Conner - Daddy what is that?
Me - It's the Bible. A book of religious stories.

At this point Conner looked really interested and I started getting excited that teaching my kids religious literacy was going to be easier than I thought. Then Conner, as he is want to do, brought me back to reality.

Conner - [In a very excited voice] I WANT TO BUILD THE BIBLE!!!


photo.jpg


We didn't build the bible that morning, but we did read through a good bit of Genesis. Unfortunately, Genesis doesn't paint the nicest picture of Yahweh. Conner was irked but accepting of Yahweh throwing Adam and Eve out of the garden of Eden. He said they broke the rules and were being punished.

But, by the time we got to Cane and Able, with Yahweh demanding the sacrifice of animals and basically instigating a fight between the brothers, Conner had changed his mind. He actually asked me "Is Yahweh the bad guy in this story?"

I'm starting to think I picked the wrong first subject area. Physics might have been a lot easier.