Christmas Vacation Memories

I had a long, restful and fun Christmas vacation this year.  I spent so much time doing things and having fun I never got around to writing about most of it. So this is a quick recap.


After last years debacle Christine and the kids buckled down and built a respectable gingerbread house. Christine worked at this with them for 3 days. Castles have been built with less effort that went into this gingerbread house but none of them looked this good.

IMG_0429




Alex and I played a bunch of Chess. I was beating him soundly and Tom jumped in and knocked over my king. Forfeit!

IMG_0456



We said goodby to Jerry.

IMG_0443


I finally took out my saxophones.  I don't play quite like I used to but the thrill is still there and the technique comes back fast.

IMG_3285


Allison conducted her first orchestra.

Allison Conducts Tubas


The kids made cookies with Memere.

IMG_0310



Despite our best efforts to keep Allison from napping (and thus staying up all night) on Christmas Eve, she managed to sneak in some sleep.

IMG_0468



The following picture was taken on Christmas morning at 6:08am. Alex was told in no uncertain terms that he was not to wake anyone up until at least 6am. At 6:01 he was in our room explaining that he wanted to go to the bathroom before he woke us up so he got up at 5:58. That boy has a crazy internal clock.

IMG_3202


Santa brought us a Lego Death Star with 3,806 pieces. And no, that isn't a typo. It has 3k pieces, and it was definitely Santa because I had no idea it was under the tree, and Christine swears it was Santa. We've set up shop in the music room (recently renamed from the office) and are steadily building it.

IMG_0732

Even Allison is getting in on the Death Star building action.

IMG_3290



The Boxborough Library had a lego building day one afternoon so I took the boys. They had the room almost entirely to themselves and built Legos while I read a book. Conner asked me to record a video of his creation.








They were very proud of the creations which will be on display in the Boxborough library for about 3 months.

IMG_3272


The Christmas snow was perfect.

IMG_0707


Christine and the kids built a great snowman.

IMG_0688


And a few days later he was a little less of a snowman.

Sad Frosty


Alex and I went sledding at Nara park. Alex can take care of himself so we both got a lot of sledding in. He even taught me a great way to steer. We had a lot of fun.

IMG_3258





Alex met a girl from his school while we were there. After sledding they had an epic snowball fight.

IMG_3251



And remember all that wood we stacked 2 years ago?

P9270191 copy

Back home we finally put it to use.

IMG_3194